storage oils - for info only (I don't use it)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: storage oils - for info only (I don't use it)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 06:43:04 -0700 (PDT)
In Nov 99 Car and Driver there was an article
regarding oils to use in stored or seldom used cars.
I will summarize FYI, BUT **I HAVE NOT USED THESE
OILS.***  DO NOT BE A STOOGE - USE THIS INFO IF YOU
LIKE AND THEN RESEARCH THIS FURTHER!!!

The upshot is to look for CG-4, CF-4 or CF-2 on the
bottle (as opposed to the SJ prefix).  These oils are
formulated to neutralize sulfuric acid and other
byproducts of the oxygenates that are in fuels today.
The CG/CF oils have m9re detergents, and are great for
keeping rings from sticking and eliminating sludge
buildup.  These oils have ZDDP, a zinc based additive,
in concentrations 30 to 50% more than SJ oils.  This
is good for older cars.  Supposedly minor

******The drawback*******
The ZDDP is bad for your catalytic converter, so later
cars need not apply. Also the detergent is supposed to
be incredible, and can free up dirt that has been
dormant for years.  Additionally, leaks can occur if
sludge that has been a sealing a surface is freed, and
the nitrogen in the additive may be incompatible with
some seals.

http://invites.yahoo.com/