Re: SUCCESS!

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: SUCCESS!
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:25:35 -0400
Cc: Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
"Charles D. Sorkin" wrote:

> One other question about the '68 Sprite...
>
> While it was running (for about 180 seconds total), I noticed that I was
> getting very little oil (almost, but not quite none) on the rockers.  I was
> getting about 60-70 psi oil pressure, but where was it going?  Is this a
> symptom of a faulty oil pump?  Or do I just need to clean the oil galleries
> in the cylinder head?  What is the best course of action?

Charles

If it was getting oil, it should OK.
It could be that a DPO switched the rocker mounts around.
One of the mounts has an oil hole in it which corosponds with an oil
passage drilling in the head. If the mount with the hole is not over the
oil hole in the head, no oil get to the rockers.
Ask me about my buddy who did this on his MGA when he rebuilt it and
discovered the problem 1/2 way to Indy a couple years back.

The oil will not squirt out like an American V8 with hydraulic lifters,
the oil is pumped up to the rocker via this hole and fed along the
rocker shaft to each arm.
A minor clog along the line could give you the "very little oil"
symdrome but with 60 PSI, and oil on the rockers, I wouldn't worry
unless they started tapping when set correctly.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ