Re: A-Post Repair

To: gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A-Post Repair
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:08:49 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/2000 10:48:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca writes:

<< Can the A-Post repair be done from the inside so as not
 to disturb the outer skin? (If not, I will need to obtain a repair piece
 for the outer skin prior to commencing the repair). >>

Geoffrey:

I really don't see how you could get to the inner A-Post without disturbing
the  outer skin, plus if the inner A-Post is toasted enough to have to
replace, I would suspect the actual condition of the lower outer skin as
well.  Could be, and probably, it is rusting from the inside, would be my
guess.  The inner post is a box unit which, again, is probably rusted away
enough to weaken it's structure.  You CAN get just the lower part of both the
inner and outer A-Post, which makes alignment much easier than having to
replace the whole thing.

I wouldn't start cutting until I received the new parts, otherwise you
wouln't know how far up you could cut.  I found a junker that had a good
outer skin and cut one off it, but if I had it to do over I would just order
a new one because (a) the new ones are not that expensive; and (b) the old
one was a hell of a lot of time and trouble to remove without messing it up
(which I did a little).

--David C.