Rivergate 5-speed follow-up

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rivergate 5-speed follow-up
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
I thought this might interest some of you.
I now have about 500mi on my 5-speed conversion, which is a combination of the
Rivergate kit with Paul A's mods to the flywheel to use the 210 stock clutch
components.
So far so good, although, now that it is 'broken-in' I think I need to adjust
the clutch a little.
The 5-speed has a much shorter throw than the BMC tranny, and is definitely
quieter. The massive oil leak that I was experiencing before I pulled the
engine
(losing about 1-quart/100mi) that left puddles everywhere I went, is hardly an
issue now. The car still does drip a little, but it has to sit for more than a
couple hours, and it's only a few drops. Unfortunately I can't really attribute
the stopping of the oil leak to the new Rivergate rear oil, since I did fully
rebuild the engine while it was out, and I put a light 'smear' of silicon
gasket
sealer on the 'stock' rear main seal, in addition to  the rivergate seal.
One thing I've got to commend Rivergate on is their 'customer service', they
were a pleasure to deal with, they turned around parts in a matter of days, and
when I was due a credit, they issued it immediately to my VISA. I can't
remember
the last time I dealt with a company that is as responsive as they are.
In addition, I just got a letter from them yesterday, recalling their rear oil
seal, saying that they have changed the way it installs to make it more
effective. Customers have an 'unlimited time' to return their old seal, and get
a replacement. It would be nice, if they could just ship the known customers
the
new seal, and then credit them when the old one is returned (they may do this),
but in any case, just the fact that they sent out the letter already puts them
ahead of most companies when it comes to service. I wish every company was a
easy and responsive to deal with.

Regards - Bryan