Re: Big Brake kit

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Big Brake kit
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:15:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/19/00 1:23:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Daniel1312@aol.com writes:

<< <<Keep in mind that most fluids (like Castrol LMA) have relatively low
 boiling points >>

 NO

 DOT 5.1 fluid is ok (Ed is it OK??) >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OKAY, we have Daniel1312 to thank for starting the brake fluid thread again!

Yes, DOT 5.1 is ok to use.  It is actually a DOT 4 fluid that some company
decided to call 5.1, and it is NOT silicone brake fluid.  Sillycone brake
fluid is DOT 5, so you would think that a logical extension would be 5.1, but
oh contrare moan frair!  (Didn't know I could speak French, did you?)

Actually, Castrol GT LMA, which is also DOT 4, is perfectly good to use in
all Spridget applications.  Change fluid every year, or two years under
lighter usage.  If the car is primarily a race car, use a good racing brake
fluid and change it after each race.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget