Muffler...Super Sport/Sprint?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Muffler...Super Sport/Sprint?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:04:32 -0700charset="windows-1252"
The muffler on my '69 Sprite is one that I bought and installed back in the
late '70s while managing a Beck/Arnley parts store here in Southern
California. It is a false twin pipe job; i.e., there's only one outlet pipe
but just after leaving the muffler it splits in two to provide a "sporty"
twin-pipe look under the bumper. The actual exhaust tips are mounted
concentrically inside two larger diameter chrome pipes; this keeps the
chrome from getting too hot since the chrome pipes are not actually carrying
any exhaust. Since the muffler is still on the car and still doing its job
in a reasonable manner, I have to assume a couple of things about it: a) it
must be stainless steel, and b) it can't possible have any packing in it,
relying instead on steel baffles and chambers. Now, the question is, what
make is it? If my memory serves me right (and at my age the service is
getting slow and sloppy) it was Italian, but the only thing I know for sure
about it is that it is not, repeat *not* a Monza piece.  There was a
competing line out at around that time called something like
Super Sport, or maybe Super Sprint...damn, I hate getting old!  Anybody out
there who didn't ravage quite as many brain cells in the crazy sixties who
might remember anything about this?

Jim Algar
'69 Sprite and learning to live with short-term memory loss.