Re: Floating a VW

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floating a VW
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:55:48 -0400
1966 - Night racing a Consumer's Gas (blue flame) VW bug flat out
on a very dark unlit (but well practiced) cottage road. My copilot
is on the stop watch and clipboard. Both of us are trying to pin
down when that unmarked but inevitable right hairpin turn is
coming up. After two or three false alarms, copilot says - "we're
OK for a bit, I can see a parked car tail lamp reflector up
ahead" - and I keep the gas pedal at full max.

As we whizzed by it turned out to be a parked car alright - parked
at the end of a long residential double driveway that happened to
line up perfectly with the road, just as our 90 degree hairpin in
a flash disappeared to the right at 70 mph.

Veered hard to starboard, missed the house and plowed through the
adjacent mature woodlot complete with VW sized boulders. Both
pilots came out the other end alive (but severely humbled) and the
VW sans hubcaps and missing much of its floorpan (but still
running).

My best ever summer job didn't last too much longer - that's
another story.

Mike L.
60A,67E,59Bug