Re: Timing Vs Over Heating--Longish!

To: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@compuserve.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing Vs Over Heating--Longish!
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:36:44 -0400
Very good discussion about timing curves and dizzys (It made me dizzy to
read it) But unless
I missed something, you didn't explain the heating issue.

Your turn is over - NEXT!!

Thanks for participating

Larry

At this exact moment in time 7/25/00 15:01, PAsgeirsson@compuserve.com
made the profound statement:

> [...]
>cam design, it's entirely possible that all the responses to this initial
>thread are in the correct category, or close enough to be right.  A huge
>variable could possibly be whether or not Zappa is on the stereo or you
>have a cat stuck in the undercarriage!
>
>There may be a few minor technical errors here, but I think you can get the
>picture fairly well with the above illustrations, and I also don't have a
>spell checker on this e mail program, so don't send over the spell cops!
>
>FWIW, Paul A
>

>FROM:   Bryan Vandiver, INTERNET:Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM
>TO:     Larry Macy, INTERNET:macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
>        spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
>        Larry Miller, INTERNET:millerls@ado13.com
>DATE:   7/25/00 1:32 PM
>
>Re:     Re: Timing Vs Over Heating
>

>FWIW - I just changed the timing om my 1275, from 8 degrees BTDC, to 16
>degrees
>BTDC, about a week ago. The car is now running hotter.
>
>I also noticed that the more retarded the timing is, the power band shifts
>higher RPM, and the more advanced it is, the power band moves to lower RPM,
>and
>becomes flatter. Any thoughts on this??
>
> - Bryan
>
>>Subject: Re: Timing Vs Over Heating
>>To: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>, "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net
>(E-mail)"
><spridgets@autox.team.net>
>>
>>Well for what its worth, I always heard it was too retarded makes it run
>>cool, something like not burning all the gas and leaving liquid fuel in
>>the cylinder. (That is likely as far off the wall as it is off the top of
>>my head)
>>
>>Too advanced makes it run hot, the engine is working too hard and
>>compression is not finished before the spark front hits the A-F mix. the
>>engie then has to compress the exploding gases.
>>
>>At least that is the way I answered it when I applied for the "Who Wants
>>To Be a Millionaire" show.
>>
>>Larry
>>
>>At this exact moment in time 7/25/00 12:46, millerls@ado13.com made the
>>profound statement:

>and
>gasoline
>>>in
>heat

>>>Toby
>>>I don't have an over heating problem I just wanted to hear some thoughts
>on
>>>timing Vs over heating.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Larry
>>

>>Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
>>macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
>>System Administrator/Manager
>>Neuropsychiatry Section
>>Department of Psychiatry
>>University of Pennsylvania
>>3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
>>Philadelphia, PA 19104
>>
>> Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a
>>question and you're a fool for the rest of your life.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.