Re: Concorde Crash No LBC

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concorde Crash No LBC
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:56:54 EDT
Actually, the controller didn't "have to tell him they were on fire." They
knew it. They discovered the fire at the point of no return on takeoff,
known as V1, or decision speed. At this speed or greater, pilots are taught
to take off no matter what, and try and return. If they try and "put it back
on the ground" at or above this speed, they most likely won't be able to
stop in time with the available runway left. I guess they didn't realize the
severity of the engine failure.
  The Pilot wasn't going to try and to return to DeGaulle airport, he was
going to try and make it to LeBourget airport about 4 miles away. Much
easier than trying to return to point of departure. IMHO, the Pilots did an
OUTSTANDING job keeping it away from the hotel and other people on the
ground. I'm saddened by the crash, but thankful there weren't more
fatalities.
Concorde Factoid, did ya'll know that the Concorde takes off with a fuel
load that weighs more than the empty weight of the A/C itself? A/C weighs
about 150,000lbs, and holds more that 150,000lbs of fuel.And when it gets to
New York, it has only about 1/2 hour of fuel left? No holding  for them!
FWIW, I LOVE Concordes, Especially the NOISE!

Brian
Bugeye in progress
ATCS