Re: Prices of Wire Wheel Stuff

To: richard.arnold@juno.com
Subject: Re: Prices of Wire Wheel Stuff
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:19:59 +0000
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Richard,

I wouldn't pay 1/3 the cost of new for a set of used wires.  Most time
they are really worn when used.  It is very hard to check the splines
for wear unless you have lots of experience doing this.  I thought my
deal was good too.  That was until I got them on the car and running
down the road.  The main problem with a used wire wheel setup, is if one
part is worn then the mating part is also.  For example, if the left
rear spline turns out to be worn, then the left rear wheel will match
it.  Also if the tires were rotated for even wear, most likely the front
left wheel was on the back left.  Now the front spline will wear until
it matches the  rear wheel and it's bad too.  I've not had to good of
luck finding good splines on any used equipment.  In fact of the
original used parts that were on mine the only thing left is the rear
axles.  I had to replace everything.

So unless you have lots of experience with wires and know what to look
for I would buy new.  I know it's costly, but it will save in the long
run.

Now guys this is my experience, flame suit is on.

Rick