[NO LBC] Re: Australian Gun Control...no LBC

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: [NO LBC] Re: Australian Gun Control...no LBC
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 00:06:31 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
A 30 minute tour of the web finds that the story that Robert quotes
from a friend from Australia can be found verbatim at several pro-gun
websites, several of which call for the South to rise again, get us
out of the UN, etc., no doubt all laudable causes with no bias. It
has also been picked up by the press and was published in newspapers
in both Australia and America. So much for the 'liberal' press that
hides such information.

Differing statistics about the effect of Australian gun control can
be found at pro-gun sites, several of which call for eating granola,
tree hugging, and use of alternative fuels or mass transit, no doubt
all laudable causes with no bias. These sites claim that in 1998/99
(the measured period following the massive gun control enactment)
there were 64 firearm-related homicides in Australia, the lowest
number in a decade. This was also reported in the press in Australia
- I did not find it in our 'liberal' American press. Interestingly,
several sites claim that the quote Robert gave us from his Aussie
friend actually originated from the US NRA and was disseminated to
press outlets in Australia. Having dealt with several American press
outlets, I do not doubt that information can be published without
proper background research (this is called being lazy; not
conservative, not liberal, just lazy). I do not know if this occurred
in this instance, but I cannot find any data collection sources that
support what Robert quoted - only websites and newspapers. Of course,
these data collection sources would be governmental, and there is no
doubt a conspiracy...

An Australian government website quotes two figures, the 64 homicide
one noted above, and another interesting statistic: though the
homicide shootings are down, the use of handguns in homicides in
Australia increased from 13% in 1995/96 to 42% in 1998/99. Thus,
there appears to be plenty of grist for both sides, but at least
think about the numbers.

So, spend some time getting free info on the web - it's worth exactly
what you pay for it! Just go to Google and search on "australia gun
control'. Happy hunting.