Engine rebuild advice...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine rebuild advice...
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:45:33 -0700
Hi All,

Now that the '62 Midget is gone and someone else has the pleasure of
driving it. I'm looking for some feedback on my next major project.

I'd like to re-install the 948cc race engine that belongs to the vintage
race car. The problem is, the last time it was raced it lost oil pressure,
and even though it was immediately shut down, there are traces of soft
metal in the crankcase. Inspection reveals that one of the main bearings
began to give. Even thogh the engine has only a few hours use on it, I know
I'll need to tear it down and make sure all the metal has been cleaned out.
My question is, can I get away without removing the cylinder head if I make
sure the bottom end is completely clean and I flush out the oil galleys in
the head and rockers?

As I mentioned, the engine is like new, but are there any other
inspections/tasks I should make in the process. What else that should be
renewed besides the main bearings? The crank is a .010/.010 and has been
knife-edged by Joe Huffaker.

Thanks,

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A