Re: Pertronix Ignitor failure

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignitor failure
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 17:16:29 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. I was running a Lucas sports coil with the
Ignitor, spark plug gap opened to .035, to get rid of points and
increase spark energy. The choice of the Ignitor vs an optical
chopper like the Crane X700 was based on failure rate data gleaned
from combing internet email lists, chat groups, and bulletin boards.
I also talked with a couple of local LBC mechanics who had experience
with both.

I assume from your reference of "you get what you pay" that you use a
more expensive ignition system. Possibly you're using some type of
MSD set up or the latest from Jacobs. Please share - what have you
found to be optimal for your set up? (If I recall right, you have a
pretty hot ride.)

Best regards,

Jeff

>This is a 2000+ word subject.  A summary would be you get what you pay.  In
>order to get value for money you have decide what you want - no points or
>more spark energy.  If you want no points then the up market optical
>triggering stuff is worth considering if you want spark eneryg a sports coil
>if you want both then both.
>
>Daniel1312

Jeff Boatright                __o\___             '65 Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu