Re: Tie Downs - Part 2

To: Robb Cutler <robb@nne.net>, Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Downs - Part 2
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Years ago, with a borrowed dual axle equipment trailer
and my race car straped down on it. I hit a small bump
on the freeway and evedently it was enough of a bump
that the trailor became seperated from my truck. the
only thing holding trailor to truck was the safety
chains. You can imagine my suprise when trailor tried
to pass me! It got up on two wheels and I could see
straight into the cockpit of race car it took about
1/2 mile to get things slowed down and under controll
and pulled over to sholder of road so things could be
reattached to truck. I had not been stopped more than
a minute when all kinds of emergancy vehicles and
police showed up. Thankfully not needed.
Now, just emagine yourself in the same circumstances
and you will see that you will not be as fortunate as
I was. Bottom line: TIE THAT SUCKER DOWN!
--- Robb Cutler <robb@nne.net> wrote:
> > On 8/12/00 11:00 PM, William M. Gilroy at
> wmgilroy@avaya.com wrote:
>

> > Robb Cutler wrote:
> >>
> >> I mounted two pressure-treated 4x4 on the floor
> of the trailer so that when
> >> I drive the Sprite into the trailer, I have about
> a 1/2" gap on either side
> >> of the tires.

> >> I'm going to do one safety chain to the rear axle
> (being careful of the
> >> brake lines) just as a precaution.
> >>
> >> What do you think?  Am I totally off-base here or
> will this work?
> >>

> > I am not an expert but I would worry about the car
> bouncing.  I am what
> > happens
> > if you hit a series of nasty potholes at speed?
> Could the car move forward
> > if you slam on the brakes?  I would go for
> something more secure (in my eyes)
> > as if a bad thing is going to happen, it will
> happen to me.  Like I said I am
> > no expert but I would want to secure at least 2 of
> the wheels, or more likely
> > all 4.
> >

> I think it's unlikely that the car could go over a
> 4x4.  But I worry about
> the bouncing too -- hence the tie down as a
> precautionary measure....
>
> Of course, even if it does so, it won't make it all
> the way over the 4x4
> without hitting a wall... remember I've only got 2"
> of clearance front and
> back...
>
> Regards,
> Robb