Vintage on the Prairies report

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage on the Prairies report
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:16:22 -0600
Greetings
Some of you may recall that last week I was requesting advice on a number
of issues to do with racing my car this weekend at Race City in Calgary.  I
am happy to report the car is resting comfortably in the garage and I can't
wipe the silly grin off my face!
Here are a few observations:

1. A Midget is not a stock car and I am not a roundy round left turning
kinda guy.  On Saturday we spend the morning lapping on the oval while one
of the local sports car clubs used the 2 mile road course for Solo 1 and 2
events.  Fun, but my curiosity has now been totally satisfied.

2. I shared the Midget with our 22 year old son who had no previous racing
or slalom experience and he had a great time, drove hard but controlled and
loved every minute of it.  It must be in the genes I guess.

3. We were in a novice class which required only helmet and seat belts and
although we were on the track with up to 20 other cars, passing was only
allowed on the straights not in the corners.  Everybody was very controlled
and courteous and there were no incidences of any kind.

4. The car was very, very good.  The engine was really strong and never
missed a beat, the suspension worked well but even as stiff as it is I was
somewhat surprised by the amount of body roll in the tight S portion of the
track.  As we were the only Spridget there we felt we did the marque proud.
 Many people commented on how quick it was especially some of the MGB's who
got passed and in particular one Alpha owner would could not understand how
my son could stay right with him around the whole circuit.  "Everytime I
would look in my mirror there would be that damn little yellow car.  What
have you got in that thing anyway?"  Gotta love it! :))

5. During one of the hot lap sessions for novices they allowed some of the
other vintage cars out on the track at the same time.  It was VERY
intimidating getting passed by 2 Ford GT40's who are going very fast.  The
organizers realized later that this was not a good idea and it did not
happen again.

6. The class car of the weekend was a bright red '56 XK140 from Olympia,
Washington.  It was SO fast and absolutely beautiful.

Finally, thanks to all that gave me advice last week.  It was much
appreciated.  I would be interested to know from you Thicko guys if there
is a Thicko season end gathering where a guy could go and learn a few
cheatin dog tricks.  I might have to join the team in the future.

Dave
72 Midget MKIII
Calgary, Alberta