Usefull (Useless?) info

To: <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Usefull (Useless?) info
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:42:08 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Been looking at the head from the turbo kit that arrived yesterday in the
boot of the car I bought for spares.  The Turbo exhaust valves are actually
thicker in the stems and so the valve guides are equally thicker in their
bore.  the guide boss is larger and protrudes more into the airflow than the
standard 12G940 heads.  I thought it might have made a good head to use for
my wife's Morris 1275 but on reflection the standard Ital head is better,
although not a s good as the MG Metro one on the shelf.  It seems the turbo
valves are cooled by using sodium salts as a filler for the thicker stems to
aid in pulling heat away from the face of the valves.  Basically, don't use
a turbo head unless you are going to use the turbo unit as well.  Does
anyone in the UK recondition Garrett Turbos?
The gearbox on the car is the 5-speed Ford C/R type 9 from the 3-litre V6
and is the sweetest box I've ever used in a Midget.  The original '66 box
came with the car but I cannot remember how to identify the Spridget box
from the Morris.  Something to do with the bearings?  I can recall being
shown how to identify the difference just by looking inside the side cover,
but that was a decade ago.  Anyone?