Lot rot (brake systems)

To: WFO Herb <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Lot rot (brake systems)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:54:48 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
WFO Herb wrote:

> IMHO, the reason we have to rebuild our master, clutch and slave cylinders
>more
> frequently is because our cars see less use than 'normal'.  In the car
>business
> it's called "lot rot".  Flushing the system(s) may prolong component life.  It
> would reduce the likelihood of condensation and its harmful effects.  Also,
> quality of parts used may need to be questioned as well.
>
> I would be interested in knowing how often those... the few that do... that
>use
> their cars as 'daily drivers' have to rebuild their brake or clutch systems.
> Comparing what they tell us to those that only drive their cars a few times a
> month during good weather only.  Comments???

My .02 cents on this subject......

Having 3 LBCs on the road, 1 a daily driver, 1 a weekend driver, and one
hardly gets used.

My A40 had the entire hydraulic system rebuilt about 3 years ago.
Other then silicone fluid eating the stop light switch, I have had no
hydraulic problems at all. Never a pump, always hard pedal, and it
always stops (unless the fluid leaks out of the cheap indonesian made
brake light switch)
This is a daily driver, my daughters only car.

My Bugeye is running all rebuilt hydraulics but I had to rebuild the
master cylinder twice because the first kit was not Lockheed and lasted
about a month.
I change the fluid every 2 years. I am using Castrol DOT 4 and I never
have a hard pedal and it always needs a pump. I rebleed the system every
couple months but no hard pedal. This is my weekend car. I try to use it
as much as possible.

PIECES has an Autozone $39 rebuilt master, I had to put a Lockheed kit
in it the day after it was installed because all the DOT 4 leaked out
over night.
But I still have to pump the brakes. Again I blled it every few months
(today in fact) but it still needs a pump.

I have a friend with a Healey 3000, he rebuilt his hydraulics with
silicone 12 or 13 years ago. He uses his car 3 or 4 yimes a year. Always
a hard pedal, no problems since 1987 when he restored the car.

So is it the brake fluid? I do not want to start another brake fluid
war.
I know what I have learned, I know what works for me, I know I have to
change 2 cars to *the other* fluid.

Or is it the quality of todays parts?
I learned to always specify Lcokheed OEM kits or cylinders.
But out of the 3, 1 works great, 2 need a pump, all have Lockheed parts
and all are relativly new.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ