5 speed gearbox - longish

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 5 speed gearbox - longish
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:14:00 EDT
Hi List,

Bought a s/h Ford 5 speed gearbox today.  I really want it for spares or in
case I ever get a Morris Minor/Ford Escort/Cortina/Capri and want to convert
it to a 5 speed.  It is also going to be my guinea pig box for some ideas I
have for the modified box in the car.

I used a litre of degreasing cleaning it and then painted it a nice shade of
red (red gearboxes go faster?).  I then had a look inside it and used some
other de-greaser on it to give it a bit of a clean before spraying lightly
with rust prevantive.  It looks ok inside with no serious wear or chipped
synchros.  The yard had a whole row of cars with suitable 5 speeds but I
chose this box because the engine had already been removed and I figured it
would be therefore be quicker to get the box out (although the yard pulled it
for me at no extra cost).  On second thoughts this may have been a wise move
because if the engine was good enough for someone to buy then the gearbox
might have seen similar mileages and likewise be good (though if I ever use
the box I will strip and rebuild it).  I thought about going back to the yard
next Saturday to check the mileage on the car but since I found the
speedometer drive gear is in 2 pieces there seems little point.  I did pull
of the rear extension and learnt that I need to purchase some roll pins and a
pin punch of the right size to knock them out of part of the selector
mechanism (I improvised with a 3/16 clevis pin).  I found one part missing
but this may have been deleted on the later boxes.

I will also go to a Ford main dealer to buy a few other odds and sods ready
for when the supply dries up.

Next, and many months away, I will be working on shortening the extension
housing so as to move the shift further forward.

Daniel1312