Midget overdrive conversion days 6, 7, and 8. It works!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget overdrive conversion days 6, 7, and 8. It works!
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:07:34 -0400
  Well, in a nutshell, the overdrive works!

  Day 6 was spent doing the hose wiring, reinstalling
the rad, that sort of thing. I didn't post that to the
list, I took some pics but it really wasn't that exciting.

  Day 7 was spent putting on the carbs, and doing the fuel
line wiring. Oh, and spraying myself in the eye with fuel
again, that's a once-yearly occurance.

  At the end of day 7 I had it running and took it for
a drive, but the overdrive wasn't quite engaging right. It
would flick if I was coasting, but as soon as I even
TOUCHED the accelerator even just to maintain speed
it slipped out to regular drive. From everything I'd
read and been told, sounded like an oil-type problem so
I had to wait until the next day when the stores opened.

  I didn't post day 7 to the lists either, I finished
at 5:30am and just collapsed!

  Day 8 was quick and happy, just changed the tranny oil
for some straight weight stuff, and went for a drive. Flick
flick, we have overdrive! Tuned up the SUs good and
right and then did a few dozen miles, highway and otherwise,
and all seems well.

  I'm still not happy with my current oil since it's
probably not the best protection (what do you get
for $1.66 CDN a quart!), but oil is so regional that
I'll ask the local shop what they use and I'll use
that. I don't want to start another oil war!

  ...still a few issues like a longer speedometer cable to scrounge
up somewhere, but the car is driveable again so I might not
get that done in a hurry. The season is fading fast so I might
just enjoy it.

  Same URL:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/midget_overdrive.html