dialing in the turbo carb

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: dialing in the turbo carb
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:12:15 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Well....  maybe the 1.5 is going to help the low end torque a bit.  Turns
out I need a different needle to get the best tuning of the 1.5" SU.
Luckily the PO provided a jar full of various needles he had turned when he
was setting up the 1.25"SU on the turbo.  Using the calipers, I sorted the
needles into a rack and started through them, with a test drive after each
switch.  It took a needle that was thick at the base(lean at idle), and VERY
small at the tip(rich at high throttle).  The lag on throttling up has
disappeared, mid range is good and high throttle is smooth and steady. (not
to mention scary fast).  I doubt that this will be the final needle, but it
sure is working better than the original.

What I had been describing as 'turbo lag' was an overly lean condition in
low-mid range caused by the fuel setting determined by the needle.  The lag
is gone now.

Steve (Swift Justice) got very good shots of the set-up at the Palo Alto
show and posted them as per his post today.  I know I shouldn't run without
an aircleaner, but it is on the way from APT along with a shorty ram pipe,
so don't e-mail me about how bad this is to do.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye