clutch advice

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch advice
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:15:32 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
This may not apply to spridget clutches, but it certainly does to those with
the Datsun 5-sp conversion.  Take a very critical look at the clutch disc
before you buy/install one.  The quality of the aftermarket clutch discs
varies considerably.  Look for bronze rivets vs steel holding the friction
material, precise fitted holes in the spring retention plates that cage the
springs VERY snugly.  The US re-manufactured one I picked up today of $29
was well made and stamped with ID codes.

The one I trashed had no markings at all, steel rivets, imprecise loose
holes 'retaining' the springs.  It looked like a 10 year-old filed it in his
backyard.  Entirely my fault for not examining it more closely before I
installed it.  I've never had a clutch disc fail before and was much too
complacent.  Luckily for me, pulling the engine is just a fun evening
playing with toys and not a high priced multi-week bummer.  Truth be told, I
look for excuses to pull the engine just for the chance to fiddle with
stuff.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye