Fuel Pump Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Pump Question
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:18:13 -0500
  Well gang, I've been looking under the bonnet of my '76 Midget
(Spitfigit?). The stock mechanical fuel pump is still on the engine but
not connected to the fuel system.  Presumably, the stock pump failed and
the PO installed an electric one, which works intermittently.  We'll see
what the prob is soon.

  I can:

 *  Install a SU Midget pump that I happen to have.

 *  Replace the mechanical pump and remove the electric.

 *  Replace the mechanical pump and use the 1275 pump (switched) as a
boost or           backup.

  Also, it's been suggested to me by several listers that I use an
electric pump.  My question is : what perceived benefit is there in an
SU or aftermarket electric pump in my 1500 Midget?

  I await the esteemed wisdom of the list.

  TIA,

  Charley Robinson
  '76 Spritfidget ;^)