Re: Pin vs Star

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Pin vs Star
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:43:35 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill Mantz wrote:

> Is there any advantage to using a star drive rather than a pin drive on
> the cam, other than availability? I also noticed that the Kent 266 pin
> has 3/8 wide lobes, and the star has 1/2. Once again, any
> advantage/disadvantage? Do you have to change the entire pump to change
> from star to pin? Thanks!

Bill
Yes you have to change the oil pump to accomodate either the pin or star
drive.
There are no advantages to either that I know of.
I believe the reason for 2 drives was the 2 different manufacturers of
oil pumps used by BMC over the years.
The star drive being the later type may be "new and improved" then again
maybe it was changed because it was cheaper to make. Most 1275s useds
the star drive as original.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ