Strange noise (found)

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange noise (found)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:11:39 -0400
List

He's one to keep in the back of your mind.
I had a very weird noise from 1500 to 2500 rpms.
It sounded like a generator bearing going bad and it increased with
speed but dissappeared over 2500 rpms.
I took off the fan belt to eliminate the w/pump and alternator, noise
still there.
I finally found it coming from the distributor.
I popped out the dizzy and spun it by hand, there was the noise.
I recently rebuilt it with a new bushing but the bushing was NOT the
problem.
It turns out that the points were making the noise. If I held the points
open, the noise was not there. Let the points go and the noise came
back.

Too strong of a spring on the points?
I don't know, they were Lucas reds and only about a month old.
New points (same brand and color) and no more noise.
Then again, it took a few hundred miles for the other set of points to
make noise.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ