Hot plugs / cold plugs

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: Hot plugs / cold plugs
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:12:13 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Suffering from a bit of confusion here.  Do 'hotter' plugs work better for
an engine that requires a higher heat range or does 'hotter' relate to the
fact that the engine runs hotter and thus the plugs would seem too hot in a
standard engine.  I know I haven't posed the question very clearly, but I'm
suffering from early signs of dementia over this.

Now, as to the way the plug heat ranges are marked.....are the numbers (eg
N9, BP6  etc ) ordered in the opposite ways for NGK and Champion plugs?
Which ones are equals?  If your car gets carbon build up on an otherwise
correct engine (ignoring any other cause of carbon deposits  :o}   ), would
you go for a 'colder' plug to get more heat build-up on the electrode or a
'hotter' one?

Yours sincerely,

Confused of Cymru.