New wing adventure - curtain in the breeze at 90mph+

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: New wing adventure - curtain in the breeze at 90mph+
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:04:05 EDT
Hi list,

Seems like a lot of folks had a spridgetly weekend adventure so I thought I
might as well add some English perspective in case anyone forgets the 'old
country'.

I have needed a drivers side front wing for some time now (that's a passenger
wing for you guys and gals) since it is about the oldest and rustiest panel
on the car and overdue replacement.  I managed to locate a brand new wing of
the wrong year for the car but will match the one on the passenger side
(that's drivers side for you guys and gals).

The wing was fairly local at about 45 mins drive away mostly on dual
carriageway but the roads were wet in places.  Got stuck behind an army truck
and german truck - er BMW till a stretch of dual carriageway appeared.  The
BMW was a little slow off the mark so I waited to start to pull away before
sitting on his bumber at a safe distance - I bet he was surprised.  He went
the other (I'm guessing ladies don't drive this quick :))other way at the end
of the dual carriageway.

Met the guy with the wing and after a torrential downpour had finished that
the wing will only fit in the car with the hood down.  So with liberal use of
rope and curtains (drapes?) fastened everything in firmly and set off home
nice and steady till reaching some nice dry road that just turned out to be
more dual carriageway.  Well with the roof down and over 4,500 on the tacho
and the car pulling strong in 5th the curtain worked loose and started to
flap wildly in the breeze.  So I had to keep the speed down a bit and the
eurobox that had frantically been trying to catch since I outbraked and out
accelerated him from the previous roundabout eventually went past (I was
doing about 70-80mph).

Arrived home damp and cold but wing without scratch - most likely be a year
before I can afford to fit and paint it.

Daniel1312, over a 100bhp, big brakes and a 5 speed and it shows.