Re: front suspension rebuilding...

To: Toby Atwater <Toby@intri-plex.com>
Subject: Re: front suspension rebuilding...
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:26:59 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Toby Atwater wrote:

> I pulled out some books and started to read, but the vocabulary is so
> difficult, and without pictures, I don't understand what I'm reading about
> (kind of like my engineering books)

Front end 101 starts here.

The wheels are bolted to the swivle axle. The axle also holds the brake
rotor and wheel bearings.
The axle is kind of sitting on top of the king pin, this is the long
*pin* that is attached to the "A" frame (A arm) via a "fulcrum" pin.
(this fulcrum pin is a bugger to get out)
At the top of the king pin is the trunion, it has 2 rubber/metal
bushings in it, these wear out rather quickly, (annually with modern
rubber compounds made in the east)
The trunion is like a knuckle, it is attached to the shock and holds the
top of the king pin where it is supposed to be. Worn out bushings make
for a movable trunion and this is a no-no.
The A arms also have rubber bushings where they bolt to the frame of the
car.
(inboard)
A quick front end job would be new A arm bushings and trunion bushings.
A serious front end rebuild includes king and fulcrum pins, new or
rebuilt shocks should also be in order as should wheel bearings for a
*complete* job.
A complete job will cost over $600 in parts (including rebuilt shocksand
a arms) and a few  bucks at the machine shop for the reaming of the new
king pin bushings.

Back to the quicky.... A set of rubber bushings can be replaced in a few
hours and for very little money, guessing at about $40 tops (8 A arm
bushings and 4 trunion bushings) If they are shot, new ones make a big
difference.

The major job means getting the old fulcrum pin out, lots of heat, a big
screw driver, new cuss words, and several days of Busty or other fine
penetrating oil.
Then as long as the A arms do not need to be rebushed, you have to have
the new king pin bushings pressed into the swivle axle and then reamed
to fit the new king pin. this is machine shop work. Once you have the
shop work done, the front end goes back together rather quickly, well
plan on all day if it's your first time. If the A arm fulcrum pin
bushings are shot, you need rebuilt A arms at over $100 each.
A quick test for the king pin is to remove the top trunion nut and raise
the shock and trunion off the king pin, slide the brake rotor off the
pin, you probably have to remove the brake backer plate for clearance
(one bolt) wiggle the pin up/down, and side ways. A bit of movement is
OK, a lot of play means bad news. Carefully inspect the bushings and A
frame condition at the bottom where the fulcrum pin threads in, if it's
cracked or you can see the threaded fulcrum pin, new A arms are needed.

If you are doing the rubber bushings, you have to remove the A arms from
the car, now is the time to inspect pins.

So now I confused you even more. Other then the costs and getting the
old pin out, it's not that difficult of a job, it's dirty and greasy but
it can be fun too. Yeah right!

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ