Big Brake steering arms.

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Big Brake steering arms.
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:59:58 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel,
Yesterday you mentioned that you have the "Big Brake" upgrade in your Sprite,
at least I think it was you. At any rate, if it was I've a question for you
regarding it's installation...

To clear the outer Tie-rod end from the Spitfire's rotor edge...
1. Did you heat-up and bent your steering arms?
2. Did you add a spacer under the arms and use longer bolts? or
3. Did you cut a BIG chamfer on the inner outside edge of the rotor?

The simplest would be to cut a big chamfer in the rotor but that reduces the
rotor-to-pad contact area, but the objective is to increase that area. The next
would be to just bend the steering arm since it's off to begin with, but by how
much? And third would be to fabricate spacers and buy longer bolts, which may
not have the correct shoulder snug fit to the arm. I guess the trick would be
to use a thin enough spacer that allow just enough clearance and doesn't
require longer bolts.
Anyone else ever do this upgrade?
TIA,
-Drew in San Jose.