fall hershey! what a show!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <Vsaab@annexus.com>
Subject: fall hershey! what a show!
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:27:34 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
well!  finally there were more cool race cars there on display!  a beautiful
big healey that was hill climbed and completly polished aluminum(without a
blemish anywhere!)!  what a spectacular looking restoration!  and speaking
of specatcular!  bob tullius's(sp.?) restored group 44 white tr6 was so
beautifully restored it is almost unconcievable it was ever raced!  another
suprise was an elva formula junior powered by a blmc 1100 a series engine!
a 1926 ac ace that ran time trials in england driven by a lady up to the
advent of the second world war!  the car has an incredible history!  and my
bugeye and saab sports racer rounded out the class 24b(hillclimb, road race
and autocross cars).   and in class 24a(trans-am, indy, nascar,dirt /asphalt
oval track cars, drag racing) there was connie kaletta's bounty hunter 1!
what a stomper!  a couple of watson indy racers from the early 60's.  a 1956
ford nascar car.  dan gurney's 67 cougar trans am car.  a 1964 ford
thunderbolt , and a large representation of 20's on up dirt track cars of
many types of power from 4 cyl ford to offenhauser to flat head v-8 to even
a 1950's thunderbird v-8!  they were all restored to a pristine condition
that would have made evry one of their constructors very proud!
friday we all had our turn in the stadium to run the vintage race cars one
at a time.   it drew a large crowd near filling the bleachers in 1/2 of the
stadium.  the sounds of these cars being run one at a time is an incredible
experience to take in some living history.  many spectators were seen
holding their ears!  not at all unlike it was in those long ago days!
saturday was the show and other than it being a bit breezy and cool it was a
perfect day for a show!   many enthusiasts from racing's past and present
were in attendance to stop by and say hello and share "war" stories!
sorry to bore evryone with my enthusiasm here but i do look forward to this
gathering each year very much!  it is only an hour's tow away and it is
pretty much my "home" show.   plus you never know who you might meet, or
who's car might be restored and in attendance!

chuck.