Inspection bummer

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inspection bummer
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:42:57 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I took the Midget for it's first inspection. No pass. Several bad
things, some simple, some not. Stupidest was I had the signal and brake
light leads reversed on the passenger side. Doh! I had them working right,
then later had to unhook them and reconnect and didn't pay enough attention
afterward. The steering rack mount is bad. Looking through the catalogs I
think it's just the "packing" as Vicky Brit calls it and it's really cheap,
but looks like an aggravation to install. Driver side steering rack boot
torn. Rear wheel cylinders leaking causing a soft pedal. My bad - I should
have checked the brakes better myself. But I thought they just needed
bleeding. And no air filter. I didn't think they would care about THAT. The
think has a really oddball Carter carburetor setup on it with a homemade
intake, and I have no idea how I could put a filter on it. I have the SUs to
go on it and was planning on rebuilding and installing them anyway, so now I
have a good excuse to hurry up and do it! Actually reassembled the first one
tonight, then dismantled the second. Hope to get it cleaned and assembled
this weekend.

At least they didn't say anything about the king pin. Maybe the movement I
was seeing before was really all in the rack motion.

Feeling rejected,

Eddie
1971 Midget