tube shocks

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: tube shocks
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:55:39 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
This is a question for folks like Frank who have had tube shocks and have
shifted back to lever shocks

What do you feel are the pros and cons of such a conversion?

 I currently have good condition lever shocks, but have already installed
the hard points to mount tube shocks.  I would of course remove the valve
cores from the lever shocks after mounting the tubes.    I would have
thought that modern gas shocks would be 'smarter' in response to different
magnitude jolts.  The kit I'm using is from WE Race Enterprises.  The kit is
from an old wreck, so I doubt the company is still around.  The tube
attaches to a post that is welded to a plate that mounts to the back side of
the A pan in a position similar to the sway bar link mount on the front of
the A pan.  The upper mount is a bolt that passes through the wheel well
sheet metal to go into a bent up tab on a thick steel plate that mounts on
top of the existing lever shock and reaches toward the rear of the car far
enough to bring the shock vertical.  The shock ends up nearly vertical in
side view, with an inward tilt of the top of the shock in front view.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience.  The $70 I'm about to sink into a
couple of new gas tubes could be spent on the Morris if it is going to be
wasted on an upgrade that isn't.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye