Re: Valve seals

To: Robert Weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Valve seals
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:35:37 -0700
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hey Robert. If you want, you can pull the valve springs with the head in
the car. Pull the plugs and fill one cyl at a time with rope - we used to
have a nice, smooth-sided rope available - maybe you have to use nylon
now. Then carefully turn the engine over until the rope is snugly filling
the cyl and supporting the valve head. Now you can ever-so-cleverly remove
the collet and keepers and springs and slip on a seal.

Okay - it's wierd science and old as hell, but it works.  I wonder if I'll
get flamed for this heresy…  I, too, wondered about seals on all. Not
using seals on exhaust valves might aid in lubricating the guide, which
would end up getting burned. I sealed them anyway.

David McCartney