Hardtop

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtop
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 20:08:59 EDT
I didn't jump in when Mike Graziano posted about looking for a hardtop a week
or two ago because I was kind of holding my breath at the time to see how a
potential deal on I was presented with would work out.

A friend of mine who is into Alfa Romeos stopped by where I work about three
weeks ago with a Polaroid photo of a hardtop and asked if I could identify
it. It was of a black Midget Mk. III factory hardtop. The story was that a
guy ended up with it after his brother bought a house and it was found in the
attic. He had no idea what it was for and posted the For Sale notice with the
photo at a machine shop where my friend spotted it, knew it wasn't for an
Alfa and thought it might be MG. So it was arranged that the top would be at
the shop yesterday and I went to take a look. All the glass is good (I have
to find the key to Triplex date coding again to see exactly how old it is).
All the seals are there and in great shape. All the hardware is there. There
are a few scuffs in the paint but overall, it's in great shape. So it went
home with me.

I found a set of the tonneau bar brackets that the back bolts down to in a
'69 parts car (my '79 the top is going on did not originally have them) and
have already put them in. I may have to adjust the windshield rake slightly
as it does not sit exactly right on the car at the moment and I do not want
to force anything to bolt it down.

Anyway, I got it for $200. So they do pop up. A few years ago I had one of
the aluminum hardtops for the MGA come out of the blue although that one came
stripped with the headliner and hardware in a box.

Now I just need to find a Mk. II one for my '65.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA