Re: Cam Lift and Bounce: Was Cams, WAS: Best place for parts

To: mgraziano@mindspring.com, jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: Cam Lift and Bounce: Was Cams, WAS: Best place for parts
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:24:56 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
sounds correct.

Noise of valve bounce will vary depending on carb and air filter but is a
chattering sound coming back through the carb.

Once valve bounce sets in the engine will lose power and rpm will cease to
increase so apart from pounding the valves and seats not much worse happens -
on a stock engine (a built in rev-limiter).  On an engine with a high
lift/long duration cam the valves may contact the pistons resulting in damage
to both.  You won't necessarily feel the loss in power or hear the valve
bounce unless you are on the rolling road.

When I was a kid I worked at a place that ran a racing XK engine in a 120.
The valves were enormous and the cams made racing D type cams look mild.  I
remember seeing valve marks on the pistons when the engine was stripped but
this may not have been due to valve bounce as much as just too little valve
to piston clearance at full lift.

1312