more 5 speed fever...

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: more 5 speed fever...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:34:11 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been saving this e-mail for a rainy day when the 5 speed conversation
rears its head.

It is raining now, and it seems appropriate.

I have been running some numbers in Excel for awhile, I thought I would
share my follies with the list. After grilling some users of the XKs
unlimited Toyota kit, I have decided to go for a Toyota box. I am biased,
but I did try to take a unbiased viewpoint. The real $$$ numbers IMO are
very close. Some people may say they will can put a Datsun 5 speed in there
for under $500 but I am looking for a "gar an teed gearbox", turn key
solution. I cant weld grind nor cut anything in my driveway (drive way
engineering is way too painful, stressful) and I need something fast to get
my project out of the driveway. My family is getting pissed from all the
British clutter.

In other words, I need something that will last, easy to install, and I need
it put together now. Hence the big bucks for the Toyota kit.

         w/ Datsun Tranny
Tobs Engine

+.020 " bore
21253 (Cooper S) pistons         $356.00
Oil Pump slot drive      $50.00
SPvp3 slot drive cam     $200.00

APT intake manifold      $180.00
manifold gasket  $8.00
Champion plugs   $20.00
K&N Air Filter   $155.00
Clutch Kit       $168.00
Head gasket kit  $50.00

Datsun 5 speed rivergate kit    $489
rear main seal kit       $89.00
slave cylinder rebuild kit       $100.00  (approx)
gear shift lever         $14.00
Speedo conversion        $125.00
5 speed Tranny   $275.00  (guaranteed 3 months)
modifying costs (done locally)   $100.00 (maybe more)

TOTAL    $2,368.00

w/Toyota Tranny

+.020 " bore
21253 (Cooper S) pistons         $356.00
Oil Pump slot drive      $50.00
SPvp3 slot drive cam     $200.00

APT intake manifold      $180.00
manifold gasket  $8.00
Champion plugs   $20.00
K&N Air Filter   $155.00
pressure plate   $50.00
Head gasket kit  $50.00

Xk Unlimited Toyota kit  $1,150.00 (guaranteed 12 months)
slave cylinder rebuild kit       $100.00  (approx)

TOTAL    $2,319.00

-------------------------------------

Price difference is 50 bucks towards Toyota. in other words negligible. (we
tight, but with these kinds of constraints, we aint that tight)

XKs unlimited swares that no modifications are needed, the shift lever comes
up in the correct location and Speedo will work fine with their adapter
included. And if they lie, I can drive 45 minutes north, and dump their kit
on their front lawn and block their charge on my CC.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Toby

69 Sprite
69 Midget