Re: (no subject)

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:00:48 -0400
Cc: fogbro1 <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>, Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Barney Gaylord wrote:
> Now would anyone like to clarify how they "legally" get away with these
> outrageous power claims?  Heck, if I could get away with that, my stock MGA
> 1500 has about 200 horsepower (which it does, by the same logic).

  The horsepower rating is related to how much the motor
can generate at it's maximum torque.

  An electric motors maximum torque is at 0 rpm, which
isn't a speed it runs at for very long, so the circuit
is not popped.

  One would guess that if you held the motor pulley from
moving and fired it up, it would attempt to consume however
many watts 5.5hp works out to. Although something would
likely fry or pop pretty darned quick, likely in the
motor itself. (although air compressor motors usually
have a breaker right on them)

  I don't necessarily agree with the logic of the
rating, but it's not totally a number pulled out of the
air.

  No doubt some company started using these ratings, and
the rest of the companies had to follow suit otherwise
their "2hp" compressors would have looked pretty
outmatched. (even though your 2hp machine outpumps my
5.5hp oiled)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca