Re: Guns by Request

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Guns by Request
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:11:17 -0500
Daniel, sometimes this gun stuff can be enlightening. Let me try
to be completely objective and make no conclusions or
insinuations, if that is at all possible.

Up here in Canada we were highly regulated - in 1987 took me six
months, many written and handling exams, and a squeaky clean
record to get a carry permit,  which means target pistols (locked
in a case and in the trunk) can only be carried between the house
and the club, but  nowhere else. In the process they booted me out
of the house to interview wife and kids and knocked on the
neighbours' doors to ask about that guy getting restricted
weapons - ie regular non automatic pistols and the odd <18" barrel
rifle. A large number of weapons were always being added to the
prohibited list by Order in Council. Hunting rifles were
unregulated

I didn't mind. It keeps the proliferation factor down, at least
amongst the regular citizenry. The guy in the car next to you
isn't likely to have one, unless he's a crook. (I guess my fellow
Canadian Trevor would call him 'buddy with a crowbar' and others
on this list call him 'Scum getting ready to bash my wife's
head'.)  On the other hand whole classes people could never
qualify under these rigorous requirements. Persons with marital
problems, persons with a criminal record, persons with a fence
dispute, and eventually someone would notice that certain
minorities were being treated unfairly.

Come Jan 1 2001, we have much tougher regs. All 4 inch barrels are
now prohibited. You cannot buy any kind of ammunition without a
Possession and Acquisition license (PAL). The new 5 page PAL
application form requires signed passport photos and written
consent from the spouse and any person you lived with in the last
2 years. Hunting rifles must be registered by 2003. Storage and
handling requirements are better defined. You need a License to
Transport to move between club and home. It has gone way beyond
the hassle of keeping a few LBC's on the road. Estimates are that
gun clubs will loose 30% membership, club fees will go up, and
many will shut down.

I don't mind. It's not my big hobby, I got re-tested and the
newest permits almost for the hell of it. It may even be somewhat
elitist. I am already well documented in Big Brother's electronic
files. I don't worry about my rural friends ducking redneck
bullets. I don't expect to see road rage turn into a gun battle.
The reported Toronto crime stats have been going down, while 2 or
3 public shooting incidents are in the news every week.  Local
polls show crime being the priority concern before health care and
education - go figure.

I have no axe to grind, just more hi-end fodder for the
discussion.

Mike L.
60A.67E,59Bug