Re: Counterfeit brake shoes?

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, "Jeremy Cogman" <jeremyc@totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Counterfeit brake shoes?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 10:59:26 -0000
From Jeremy Cogman <jeremyc at totalise.co.uk>
To: rob thomas <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Sent: 04 November 2000 11:37

> What should I look out for on the shoes we have.  What alerted your
> suspicions?
>
> Cheers

Box        Cheap cardboards.  Printed colours not accurately printed on top
of each other.  No tab to lock the lid (Selotape instead).  MADE IN FRANCE
printed on box ( THAT worried me!)

Metal bits    Crudely stamped out holes with a bit of distortion around the
edges.  Corrosion starting already on poorly painted (not plated) areas.
One had a different profile on the end that the cylinder sits against.
Original has Lucas + part No. laser printed onto side.

Friction material    Not glue tightly to the metal.  Not parallel, so that
at one end the material hung over the side.  Ends of the shoe chamfered
(SP?) so that end of material is not straight.  Material snapped off of roll
instead of being neatly cut off.

Of course....it says "RUKAS fliction rinings, Ho Chi Min City " on the label