RE: Sleeving the block on a 1380?

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: RE: Sleeving the block on a 1380?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:34:48 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Ulix,

Would be interesting to find out if you could sleeve it and bore it back to
1380.  HOWEVER!  I recall on one of your earlier posts that you sorta,
kinda wished that you had stayed much closer to a stock 1275, with just
slight oversize to it.  This might be a chance to get back to those specs,
with the sleeves, should you care to go that route.  I have a thin flange
block that could be had for little money, but that isn't the best type to
rebuild.

As for knurling, I had that done on a plymouth 6 engine ages back and it
worked fine for the length of time I owned it, several years, but of course
it never revved like a 1275 does.  Well, maybe a few times I revved it like
a 1275!

FWIW, Paul A

FROM:   "Ulix Goettsch", INTERNET:ulix at u.washington.edu
TO:     "Spridget List", INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   11/6/00 10:44 PM

Re:     Sleeving the block on a 1380?

Thanks to everyone who responded about my piston to bore clearance.
Knurling crossed my mind after I posted, but after talking to Dave Anton at
APT today, it would require bigger rings to match the bigger bore and would
offer less surface area to the bore, making the pistons wear faster.  Does
anyone have experience with knurling pistons?

Dave also mentioned antifriction coatings that could potentially be applied
thick enough.  Any opinions?

I also talked to the owner of the LBC shop through whom I had contracted
the
work.  He talked to the machine shop and they say they will fix the block
if
they indeed made a mistake. So next, I have to tow the car to the shop to
have them measure the bore and pistons.  They will probably suggest
sleeving
the block.  Is this possible/safe to do on a block that is to be bored to
1380cc?  I checked Vizard but found no info.  Des Hammill suggests in his
book to avoid blocks that have been sleeved in the factory due to
manufacturing defects for racing use since the sleeve might break.  I won't
be racing, but bore flex might stress the sleeves.  Also I just don't know
if there is enough room for sleeves.
Will an even thinner wall and a thin sleeve be as strong as the wall is
now?

If sleeves won't work, I would have to find another block and have the shop
redo bores, cam brgs, align hone the mains, etc plus potentially pay for
the
block.  That might be a hard sell on my part.

Thanks for any input y'all might have.
Ulix