Re: Spridget wheel bearings

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spridget wheel bearings
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:54:49 EST
In a message dated 11/11/00 12:05:49 AM, esheffield@prizmail.com writes:

<< But all this talk about shims etc. made me wonder if I was missing
anything. Any helpful hints?>>

Eddie,

Spridget front wheel bearings are suppose to be a "go, no go" type
installation.  If you have the bearings turned the correct way and the spacer
installed then you just tighten the nut down.  However some folks have
reported having spacers of different dimensions which they need to shim or
prefer to shim.  Do not know for sure but these might be cars put back on the
road from parts.  (Except for Crash who likes doing things in a different
way<BG>).

<<BTW, for future reference is it possible to remove the bearing from the hub
without destroying them? I sure didn't see any way when I took them apart. >>

If the bearings are badly worn then they are most likely going to come apart.
 But most bearings will press out as a unit.   We have a large floor vice
which we used for years to press the bearings in and out.  We used various
sizes of sockets, sometimes stacking them up, to fit through the hub and
against the bearings.  Broke down and bought a bearing press last year and
now it now longer requires three hands to hold all of the parts.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Sprite Mk III (in progress)