Re: Non-snych first gear

To: ryan marro <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Non-snych first gear
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:10:59 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
ryan marro wrote:
> slightly rolling (yes, I am a DCO, but second is sometimes not an option
> because that gear is worn out and often jumps out.  Third is usually not an
> option either because I have already tried second once or twice and lost
> momentum and the carbs suck too and it usually stumbles and hesitates when
> first starting out).  That brings up another question.  My car is hard to
> start even on warm mornings (I expect to buy a new starter soon as much work
> as mine gets).  When it does start, it runs roughly and lurches when I start
> driving (No, it's not because I can't operate the clutch).  Once it's warm
> it usualy starts much more easily and quits lurching.  What causes cold
> naturedness in cars and how can I fix it?  I just had the carbs rebuilt and
> the timing done by a resto shop because I couldn't seem to get it right with
> the haynes weber-su-zenith-stromberg carb book.  I shouldn't be having these
> types of problems.  ARRGGH. I drive my Subaru a lot more than I want to.

Ryan,

It can take time to sort out these (any car).  A lot of it depends on your
level of experience as a mechanic.  The better mechanic you are, the faster
you will sort out the car.  My advice is find a lister in your area and see
if you can drop by and have him take a look at the car and show you what/how
to do some of this stuff.  Just bring beer and you should be welcome with
open arms.  Good luck and some of this stuff will take time.

Oh yeah, try to change only ONE thing at a time, that way when it goes to
hell, you have a chance of fixing the problem.

Gilroy