Wiper Motor

To: spridgets@autox.team.net teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eASIgMe17151
Subject: Wiper Motor
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:42:09 EST
Hi list,

Since things seem quiet on the list thought I might as well post something.

Have had trouble with the wipers recently (eg difficult to get them to work
but once working they are ok until the next time I used the car) until the
point where they don't work at all.

The wheelboxes are ok though one seems to have excessive 'end float' that
looks to cause some friction where it rubs against the body of the box so
given that it is at least 15 years old (last time I unseized it) I am going
to replace it this time.  Control tube and cable are fine.

The motor seems dicky so I took the plunge and bought a brand new one today
(though I had to supply the old one - in this case, my unserviceable spare,
not the unserviceable one on the car!).  At #86 this is one of the more
expensive things I have bought for the car in recent years but the previous 2
wiper motors were both s/h so I think the car deserves a new one this time
round.

The new motors from Lucas are now generic - one type fits all, on account of
the fact that it comes without the gear wheel.  I used the gear wheel from
the unserviceable spare which is a non-standard 120 degrees and looked to be
in good condition after I cleaned it up.  I plugged the motor into the car
and it ran just fine, unlike the old motor so I guess my diagnosis - duff
motor - was correct.  It will be the weekend before I get to install it
because the new wheel box had to be ordered (I got the motor locally from a
Lucas dealer).  Maybe I will get the park to work with this new motor!

Daniel1312