Turbo Bugeye

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu, froggi@cdsnet.net
Subject: Turbo Bugeye
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:34:34 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Ah!  That makes sense!

A good friend of mine here is Akron (and, coincidentally, the PO of my
Bugeye) made himself a 60 Bugeye fitted with a 2.2 liter turbo motor from a
Dodge Daytona.  175 hp in a Bugeye is seriously dangerous, but also loads of
fun.  The car was stock looking on the outside, too, except for the wheels.
A delicious little sleeper until the light turned green.  This particular
buddy can basically craft anything for anything -- the 2.2 was mated to a
Mazda 5-speed he had used when he put a rotary motor in a previous Bugeye.
Both installations looked factory -- I have pics of the 2.2 turbo Bugeye if
anyone would like to see them!  Alas, the car had to go to make room for a
new, non-British project, and has been shipped to a new, very fortunate owner
in Washington State.

And yes, the turbo Bugeye was, to be polite, perhaps several large butt-loads
faster than the TR3A.

Interesting that your mentor described the TR3A as "bad."  Seems like almost
every Brit car gets that rep at one time or another, but I remain convinced
that basically all of them can be made reliable with enough time, effort and
skill.  Oh, and also through the consistent tactic of keeping me out from
under the bonnet.

Chris
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A