Re: VIRUS ALERT

To: mikey@b2systems.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:17:00 EST
In a message dated 12/7/00 4:09:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mikey@b2systems.com writes:

>  uh, how does a ZIP file hurt your system ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is too important to not respond.  I get fed up with viruses and trying
to avoid them.  I've been pretty lucky so far.  The two e-mails I got from Ed
had the subject line "hey you" and the attachments were "mine.zip" and
"mi49.zip".  If you see any of those, delete them.  This may be aimed more at
AOL users, as Ed and I are both on AOL, but don't take a chance.

Anyway, here is what Symantec has to say:

"PWSteal.Trojan is a trojan which attempts to steal login names and
passwords. These passwords are often sent to an anonymous email address. This
trojan is still one of the most commonly reported password stealing threats
we see.

If your computer is infected with the PWSteal.Trojan (also known as MINE,
AOL.Trojan, AOL.PWSteal, and APStrojan.qa), it may exhibit one or more of the
following symptoms:

When you log on to AOL, you are prompted for your password twice.
The logon process takes much longer than expected.
If your speakers are turned on, you hear the announcement "Download
Succeeded".
Email is sent to everyone in your Buddylist over and over again while you are
online and everyone in your address book is emailed when you log off. The
email contains a .zip file attachment that may be named Hey You.zip,
Muttxx.zip, or Miffxx.zip (where xx represents a number).
You can no longer run Sysedit or Notepad to view your system configuration
files.
Windows will not shut down, or appears to stop responding during shut down To
remove this trojan following the following link to our service and support
web site;
<A
HREF="http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000012318073306";>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000012318073306</A>
 "

So go to www.sarc.com and search for "hey you" if you want proof.  The
Symantec AntiVirus Research Center is a great site, and it includes a search
for virus hoaxes.  THIS IS NOT A HOAX!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget