Re: VIRUS ALERT teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eB81ERp14175

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, Bushwacker4@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id eB81ERp14175
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:17:00 -0800
   Ok  whoa...stop this...!!!
    I didn't mean to get a off-topic WAR going on by asking my questions.

    1. All I did was ask how opening a ZIP file harmed your
system...Answer, IT CAN"T unless you execute something in that ZIP File.

   2.  I have since found out that some files were named something.zip.exe
which at first glance would look like a zip file, it would to me and I
would have executed and killed my system.

   3.  There are lots of users out there and you CANT assume that everyone
is running the same software or is configured the same.

   There are people who use AOL
   There are people who use Microsoft LookOUT   (err, OutLook)
   And there are the rest of us

   I understand that LookOUT and AOL automate a lot of processes which does
imply that if you read a e-mail with a ZIP file it might infect you but
only because they have automated the system to do that and you have not
disabled that automation.  Because of several e-mails this afternoon, I
have gone out and gotten an education at several web sites that were
suggested.  Yup, what I said was true for MY system and its current
configuration, I can't be infected by receiving and looking at a ZIP file,
I can be infected by running something in that ZIP file.  I EASILY could
have been confused by a file called "something.zip.exe" and run it and
gotten infected and as a result will be more careful from now on.  I also
have found out that many viruses are targeted at specific items like AOL or
LookOUT because of their automation and as a result ALL OF US have been
wrong in one way or another with this little off-topic discussion.  Since
many have assumed (like I did in the beginning) that the way it is on our
system configuration is the way it must be on all others in the world.

   Now, I accidentally pressed the big "red" button and started this, can I
call a stop to it ! please !  And lets get back to topic...

   Mike
p.s. My 1098 motor is in the shop being balanced today, tomorrow its
getting bored and by mid next week I will have a nice pile of parts to
assemble ( for some semblance of topic)

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/