Re: timing chain

To: "Roger Cotting" <rbc@ili.net>, "Geoff Branch" <branch@valinet.com>
Subject: Re: timing chain
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:59:34 +1100
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Or cheaper and still better than the stock system
is to graft an a+ timing chain tensioner onto the A
series motor.

I have this on my 1380 Bugeye along with an A+
timing cover (so I can do the timing easily). I can't
remember if I did both of neccessity or by choice.

Be wary of the adjustable timing systems. All the
ones I have seen have the grub screws right in close
to the shaft - the worst place for them from an
enginnering point of view (maximises error, maximises
stresses).

Considering how infrequently you actually change
the cam timing you have to consider this a serious
luxury that only makles sense after you nearly every other
goodie.

By all means go belt timing if you like to spend money
and have the coolest sounding parfts, but my advice is to
pass on the adjustable ones even then.

Mike