Fuel, Ignition, oh my

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel, Ignition, oh my
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:31:14 -0800
   ok, I am the weirdo who about 2 months ago asked a zillion questions and
doesn't even own a Spridget.  I am back, I am supposed to get my 1098cc
motor either Tuesday or Wednesday back from the machine shop and I get to
spend xmas vacation assembling it...thank you Santa !  In case you don't
remember this is a wrecking yard 1098 that I purchased and I have some
questions.

   Fuel :  It came with no carbs or manifold, however the wrecking yard
found a set of carbs and gave them to me along with the manifold and
linkage.  He does not know if they were off a 948 or 1098, how do I tell ?
they have a 1.25" throat and I have not dismantled them yet.  I was
thinking of sending them out for a rebuild but they may be fine, so I am
going to get a carb kit and go through them.  But I would assume the 948
and 1098 were jetted differently, correct ? how do I find out, I bought the
Haynes book because the list recommended book was backordered and it is not
clear on the jet sizes.  How do I tell the different carbs and what were
the differences, I also need to hunt a fuel pump down, any suggestions ?

   Ignition :  The motor did not have a distributor, so I need to buy a
distributor, what kind ?  I am NOT going for performance here, just
reliability and I was thinking maybe I should hunt down some of those
new-fangled electronic ignition units since I need the distributor housing
and all.  What are my options here ?  I suppose I could go back to the
wrecking yard and buy a scrap distributor and rebuild it but that might not
be reliable.  I also need all the other items like ignition coil, etc.  The
1934 Singer this is all going into has (had?) Magneto ignition so it does
not have things like ignition  coils and whatever else I might need to get
a spark, I have to start from scratch on this one.

   On the good side, I have the brackets made to fit it into the frame so
the motor will fit into the frame with NO new holes drilled in the Singer
frame, I have the ribbed gearbox ready...I have the week between xmas and
new years off and I am hoping to fire the thing up during that time
(assuming I solve the fuel and ignition problems this week).  After that I
have to find a Spridget driveshaft and figure out how much to cut off the
thing to fit into the Singer, the Spridget motor/gearbox is approximately 3
inches longer than the Singer so I have to cut the Spridget driveshaft some
but I have no idea how to decide how much...but that is NEXT years problem
:) along with putting the body on and everything else.

        mike