Smoke and Sparks

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smoke and Sparks
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:42:29 -0500
I finally got the engine and transmission back together and in the MG
after a full rebuild. I tried to start it late last night. It turned
over and fired a couple of times. Due the time and the battery being
weak from sitting several months, I put off any further work until
today. I charged the battery and reinstalled it. Now, if I try to start
it, sparks fly from the solenoid, the battery cables get hot, and the
battery needs charging again. I have looked for a bare wire touching
something, but haven't seen anything. There is not a problem whenn the
switch is in the on position, It only starts when I try to start it. I
haven't changed anything from last night. Help!