re: the day after, no lbc

To: "spidgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: the day after, no lbc
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:50:45 -0500
In a message dated 12/27/00 1:01:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

"his old saab 93b (late 50's model) race car gridded at marlboro
race track just before a race in 1965 started."

Chuck,

Brings back memories for me, ie, Marlboro.  Spent most of my
youth there and probably saw your dad race.  Hardly ever paid to
get in!  We used to sneak over on the farm that was behind the
hairpin turn at the end of the front straight and sit on the
hill. Could see all but the back part of the course (dogleg
portion).  When the farmer got wise and started demanding money
we switched to the end of the back straight.  This involved
crossing the river (waist deep) and climbing up in a tree in
order to see more than the left turn at the end of the back
straight.  Those were the days of 'real' racing not what you see
today!  On the few occasions that I paid to get in, I used to
hang on the 30" high chain link fence two to three feet from the
cars as they braked hard going into the hairpin.  Ah, the smell
of Castor oil and rubber!  After a race I would have to brush off
the rubber shreds from my arms, face and hair!  Lister Jags,
Lister Corvettes, the prototype Chevy Shark, birdcage's, etal.
Thanks for the reminisence.

Biff Jones
Pasadena, MD
'59 Bugeye, "Kermit'