More Re: Waterloo-dtr

To: helejohn@pacbell.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More Re: Waterloo-dtr
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:59:48 EST
Cc: rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net
Hi list,

Without turning this into a US/British trade war I think I ought to make some
comment in Robs defence (not that he needs defending).

The simple facts are that Rob had some concerns about what was happening to
the money he was owed, lack of response to his communications, and all in a
place he cannot just knock on the door of.

Rob did NOT trash or rubbish anyone's business.  What he did do was
communicate the following to the list:

    1.  A concern he had about money that was overdue.

    2.  A question about what was happening about Waterloo based on
communication difficulties he was having.

I can't see anything wrong with either of the two things he did and I am
surprised that several listers have gone in at the deep end here.

I would add that while on occasion somethings can go wrong with anything sent
from the US to the UK (stuff gets lost) this seems to be very much the
exception in my experience.  Likewise I have found when sending stuff to the
USA that it can take 3 months sent surface or 3 days sent surface (especially
small packet).

In my experience I have had experience with British companies who owed me
money and simply ignored my communication (recorded delivery post so I know
they got it) and didn't pay up when promised.  BUT as soon as I issued a
court summons they responded pretty smartly, albeit with a pack of lies.
Come the day of the court hearing they never turned up and I won the case.  I
never did get all my money though because they went into receivership and
ultimately bankruptcy shortly after.  In fact if I had not taken such a firm
line early on I wouldn't got the money I did get.

Rob's mileage may vary from mine.

However, when someone the other side of the world owes you money and is
seemingly in no hurry to send you it or simply LET YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE
DIFFICULTIES then to send the type of e-mail that Rob did is very mild indeed
and I don't think Rob should be blasted by the list and I trust that he will
get his money in the very near future.

Daniel1312 - England, a long way from Wales

In a message dated 08/01/01 21:30:30 Pacific Standard Time,